My husband, Josh and I , have been married almost 10 months! Coming up on a year pretty soon and it’s FLOWN by. I’ve learned so much about myself and our relationship the past 10 months even though we’ve been dating almost 5 years. Marriage has been pretty sweet and I’ve loved every minute.
I think it’s pretty normal to go through ups and downs in a marriage and you learn over time what your person enjoys and what ticks them off. I’m still a ‘newlywed’ so we still have a lot to learn together but today I wanted to share a few things I’ve learned so far.
5 Things I’ve Learned Since Being Married:
1. Compromise is actually never 50/50 – Compromise is crucial in a relationship but I’ve learned it’s never ACTUALLY 50/50. I’ve learned to pick my battles and that it’s ok to compromise on something I may not want but what my husband may need.
2. We are a team– I’m learning this every day. Josh understands this more than me and it’s a daily struggle. I’m very “me” and “I” focused (always have been) and Josh reminds me it’s “us” and “we” now. I was so used to making all decisions personally and financially on my own and now that we are married I’m learning to go to him first and TALK about things.
3. Marriage is a lot of fun- So many people over the years have told me “oh wait to get married!” “You have the rest of your life to settle down!” “You don’t even know who you are in your 20’s let alone being married!”. It kinda put this bad taste in my mouth that marriage was going to be like a chore. BUT IT’S NOT. Marriage is so much fun. I get to spend every day with my favorite person, make dinners together, go on trips, etc. Yes it’s hard, but I’d rather go through life with him.
I’ve learned that a Saturday night in with my husband watching a movie is honestly 10x better and more fun than a night out at a bar with friends. Marriage is so much fun & having someone that keeps me entertained 24/7 is the best haha.
4. It requires hard work and is a choice- I read a book about how you have to wake up and CHOOSE to love your partner. I didn’t really understand this until the last few months but totally get it. I’ve learned that marriage is hard work and I have to choose to put my all in to it every day and this is something I’m committed to for the rest of my life!
5. We both need things we love on our own time- Lastly, I’ve learned hobbies are so needed and good. I kinda have my own thing going with my blog, but Josh and I constantly try to do our own “girls” and “guys” nights because it makes us just miss each other even more. I also love going on weekend trips away because when I get back I’m always ITCHING to be back with Josh. I think the dating phase is so fun and you do everything together but after some time, I’ve learned we need our space and it’s ok for him to go golf over the weekend because he loves that and it’s okay for me to go to happy hours with my girlfriends because it makes me happy.
Just a few little things I’ve learned so far and I can imagine I still have A LOT more to learn over our lifetime together. Check out more wedding posts here if you missed them.