After announcing my pregnancy I had a handful of messages asking if I did anything different this time around. I did! One of the things I did was switch household products to non-toxic items. I’m still working on and learning more but breaking down a few things I changed today. I’m still using things like ziploc baggies, products like Crest toothpaste, and finishing up our dryer sheets haha… all more “toxic” items that I plan on switching as we use up.
Highly recommend doing your research into non-toxic products. It’s crazy how many endocrine disruptors are involved in daily household items like detergent and cleaning supplies. It’s actually kind of scary! I’ve read pretty deep into how miscarriage and infertility rates are the highest they’ve ever been and it really got me thinking and diving deep into the products I use everyday.
Did you know most non-stick pans are highly toxic?! I gave away half of our teflon pans after reading into the chemicals we are basically cooking into our food every time we use. Non-toxic pans I love & use:
- Cast Iron Skillet- The BEST non-toxic pan you can use
- Stainless Steel pans- Also non-toxic although they can get a little annoying with items sticking to them
- Our Place Pans- The best nonstick, non-toxic pans I’ve found! I love the Always Pan and Perfect Pot
Personally, I use Branch Basics. Their laundry soap and the oxygen boost for every load. For towels/sheets when I want a really amazing scent, I use The Laundress Le Labo although it’s not the cleanest and does have toxic ingredients. Need to find a better option!
Switching to clean, non-toxic laundry products have been the hardest. No delicious scent, formula is more water-y, and you use WAY less than you do with normal detergent. I think it took me about 3 months to really get used to it but so glad I stuck it out!
Here’s some more clean laundry brands that I researched and were recommended. The rating is from apps such as EWG and thinkdirty which will rate laundry/cleaning brands for you so you can see toxicity level. Brands like Method and Mrs. Meyers (which I used in the past) claim to be clean but if you do a little digging, they’re really not. They both have toxic ingredients and rated on the D scale.
- Molly Suds- A
- Seventh Generation- A
- BRANCH Basics- top recommended – A
- Dropps- A to B
- Clean Cult- C
- Young Living Thieves- B
- Blueland – B
- Buff City Soap-second recommended- soaps are a C
I’m finishing up our dryer sheets now but plan to use dryer balls and essential oils as our non-toxic option next.
Almost all basic cleaning supplies are Branch Basics and they work GREAT. It’s all based off this one concentrate that cleans everything… it blows my mind haha. I also use a non-toxic stain remover and a few more side products too.
More ways to go toxin free-
- Beauty/ makeup / fragrance- I have a cruelty free beauty blog post which features many clean products but not all labeled as non-toxic.
- Plastic in home, switch out ziploc baggies, use water bottles, glass tupperware instead of plastic, etc.
- Replace candles and air plug ins for beeswax or soy candles
- Natural deodorant